Below you can find an overview of technical assistance resources available to child care programs statewide. If you’re a child care provider interested in becoming licensed, then we can assist you in the process! Through one-on-one communication, we will help connect you to local resources, such as your regional Child Care Quality Enhancement Agency. For assistance, you can email alabamachildcarefacts.com or call (866) 711-4025 toll-free.
DHR’s Office of Child Care Licensing will provide a packet of information to child care centers interested in obtaining a DHR license, which includes a copy of the Minimum Standards for Day Care Centers and Nighttime Centers and an application for a DHR license. The office is available to answer questions and provide clarification on the licensing process and DHR Child Care Consultants can provide Minimum Standards training upon request. Contact: (334) 242-1425 or (866) 528-1694 or by email at email@example.com
Training & Technical Assistance
DHR’s Regional Quality Enhancement Agencies provide a variety of trainings to staff and directors of child care centers, including training for child care staff to obtain the required 12-clock hours of training in child care and development listed in the Minimum Standards for Day Care Centers and Nighttime Centers. Often the agencies will post a training calendar online, but you can also request one.
- Child Care Central – Huntsville serves Colbert, Cullman, Franklin, Lauderdale, Lawrence, Limestone, Madison, Morgan, and Winston County. Contact: (256) 551-7016
- Child Care Central – Talladega serves Calhoun, Clay, Cleburne, Coosa, Etowah, Randolph, St. Clair, and Talladega County. Contact: (256) 362-3852
- Child Development Resources – Tuscaloosa serves Bibb, Choctaw, Fayette, Greene, Hale, Lamar, Marengo, Marion, Perry, Pickens, Sumter, and Tuscaloosa County. Contact: (205) 348-2650 or (800) 791-5437
- Childcare Resources – Birmingham serves Blount, Jefferson, Shelby, and Walker County. Contact: (205) 945-0018 or (800) 822-2734
- Child Care Resource Center – Opelika serves Chambers, Lee, Macon, Russell, and Tallapoosa County. Contact: (334) 749-8400 or (800) 238-0872
- Childcare Resource Network – Fort Payne serves Cherokee, DeKalb, Jackson, and Marshall County. Contact (256) 845-8238
- Family Guidance Center of Alabama – Dothan serves Barbour, Coffee, Covington, Crenshaw, Dale, Geneva, Henry, Houston, and Pike County. Contact: (334) 712-7777
- Family Guidance Center of Alabama – Montgomery serves Autauga, Bullock, Butler, Chilton, Dallas, Elmore, Lowndes, Montgomery, and Wilcox County. Contact: (334) 270-4100 ext. 289
- Gulf Regional Early Childhood Services – Mobile serves Baldwin, Clark, Conecuh, Escambia, Mobile, Monroe, and Washington County. Contact: (251) 473-1060 or (800) 276-2134
Alabama Department of Public Health’s Healthy Child Care Alabama provides a variety of free health & safety classes to licensed and exempt child care centers statewide, including free First Aid & CPR training. There are 12 regional Nurse Health Consultants available to provide the trainings. Click here to access their contact information.
UCP Child Care Enhancement with a Purpose provides specialized training and technical assistance to child care providers caring for children with special needs. Contact: (256) 859-4900 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
DHR’s Regional Quality Enhancement Agencies have lending libraries with resources for child care centers, including books, videos, and other classroom resources.
- Child Care Central – Huntsville has a resource center in Huntsville, Muscle Shoals, North Tanner, and Hanceville. Contact: Huntsville center at (256) 551-7016, Muscle Shoals center at (256) 375-4974, North Tanner center at (256) 282-9453, and Hanceville center at (256) 375-4974
- Child Care Central – Talladega has a resource center in Calhoun, Talladega, Anniston, and Gadsden. Contact: Talladega center at (256) 362-1390, Anniston center at (256) 835-3151, and Gadsden center at (256) 439-6800
- Childcare Resources – Birmingham has an Early Learning Resource Library and Van. Contact: Betty Abbott at (205) 945-0018 ext. 315
- Child Care Resource Center – Opelika has a lending library/resource room. Contact: Belinda Paul by phone at (334) 749-8400 or by email at email@example.com
- Childcare Resource Network – Fort Payne has a lending library in Fort Payne and Guntersville. Contact: Fort Payne library at (256) 845-8238 and Guntersville library at (256) 582-8806
- Family Guidance Center of Alabama – Dothan has a resource lending library. Contact: (334) 712-7777 or (800) 290-0933
- Family Guidance Center of Alabama – Montgomery has a resource lending library. Contact: (334) 270-4100 or (800) 499-6597
- Gulf Regional Early Childhood Services – Mobile has The Resource Place. Contact: (251) 473-1060 or (800)276-2134
T.E.A.C.H. Early Childhood® ALABAMA provides scholarships to staff working in licensed child care centers to assist them in obtaining a CDA (Child Development Associate), Associate Degree in Child Development and Early Care and Education, or Bachelor Degree in Child Development and Early Care and Education. Contact: (866) 711-4025 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Leadership in Child Care Scholarship program provides financial assistance to qualified child care professionals working in child care centers to obtain a Child Development Associate (CDA) Credential, Short-Term Certificate, Certificate, or Associate in Applied Science/Technology Degree in Child Development/Early Care and Education studies from an institution in the Alabama Community College System. Contact: Virginia Frazer by phone at (334) 293-4552 or by email at email@example.com