Questions to Ask
By asking the right questions and knowing what to look for, you can make the best child care choice for your child. Choosing a quality child care program and continuing to look, listen, and ask questions will help ensure your child is in a safe program that nurtures his/her growth and development. Here is a list of questions to ask your child care provider, and you can also download and print this helpful Child Care Checklist.
QUESTIONS TO ASK YOUR CHILD CARE PROVIDER:
- Is the child care facility licensed by the Alabama Department of Human Resources (DHR)? Find out where the DHR license is displayed.
- Have criminal background checks been conducted on all employees that come in contact with the children?
- Are the teachers educated in early childhood education?
- Do the teachers receive ongoing training in child care and development?
- Is there staff with current infant-child CPR and First Aid training?
- Is there an emergency/evacuation plan in place in case of a fire or tornado?
USE YOUR SENSES:
- Is the space comfortable, clean, and safe inside and out?
- Are children busily engaged in activities?
- Do the teachers get down on the child’s level to interact?
- Are there plenty of age-appropriate toys, books, art supplies, and blocks?
- Do the children seem happy? Are they smiling and playing?
- Are the children being watched closely?
- Do you hear music?
- Are caregivers laughing and playing with the children?
- Take a deep breath. Is it fresh and clean?
- Does it feel inviting and warm?
- Would you want to spend the day there?